Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Every Block on Divisadero

About a week ago I wrote a post-it on my desk that said "Photograph Divis," using the shorthand name for the main business street near my house in San Francisco. I was inspired to write this initially because I had a sense that the street was changing (as all streets with businesses on them do). It's being slowly cleaned up, with more boutique coffee shops and groceries coming in. I believe the days are numbered for the incense and wig stores, not to mention the auto shops that were a mainstay of this historically African American district.

It's being made more gentrified for people like... well me, as ambivalent about this as I feel about this.

And then returning this weekend from a trip to Los Angeles, something deep in my memory banks reminded me of Ed Ruscha's 1966 work Every Building on the Sunset StripI was doubly-inspired.

When I think about Google maps, with street-level photographs taken by machine, I'm struck by how methodical Ruscha would have had to be in '66. For him it must have taken a lot of time, and been a way to experience and observe the patterns of Los Angeles, and in a way to take a snapshot of a street going through changes all its own.

So here's the first photo session for Divisadero, obviously incomplete. More soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment